2002/10/08
 
01:09

Annoying Sounds: Intermission

I'll write the final chapter of the "Annoying Sounds" series shortly. It will tie everything together and reveal the hidden secret of why I thought I had to bring the topic up in the first place.

For officionados of irritating noises, let me tide you over with this observation: I'm thinking of the movie "Dumb and Dumber" where Jim Carrey (a successful Toronto lad) says something like, "Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?" He then vocalizes a noise that reminds me of the "Test of the Emergency Broadcast System" that American TV stations fling our way when they've run out of commercials. He's certainly right: it's very annoying.

By the way, I've heard that the scene wasn't scripted, but was ad libbed by Carrey. I'm glad it didn't end up on the cutting-room floor.

To wrap up this intermission, I'd like to direct your attention to a site I recently discovered, called Yesterdayland. Don't click that link unless you've got a couple of hours to spare, because nostalgia can be very time-consuming.

Email  |  Permalink  |  Re-read  |  Top  |  FAQ  |  Archive