2002/11/11
 
15:35

BritPop Toppers

Since I live in North America (Toronto, to be exact), I can't help but be aware of what songs are currently popular here. How could I not have been aware of the song "Who Let the Dogs Out?" by the Baha Men? Every time I uncorked my ears I'd hear "Ruff, ruff, ruff ruff" (or however you spell that sound they made).

Over in the U.K., though, they make different choices about their #1 hits. I managed to track down a list of their faves for the past 50 years. Gear! You can view it quite easily by clicking here.

I stress "easily" because the site that featured the list demanded that you have Java enabled and used a pop-up window with no address bar. Don't ask me why they did it that way. Maybe it's "cool" or something.

One definitely cool thing about that list is that you can click on the song titles and hear a clip. In theory, anyway. When I tried it, it couldn't find the audio files. It probably doesn't matter, though: if you're like me, you'll hear music in your mind's ear as soon as you read each familiar title. You'll probably want to do that a few times to get that silly Dog song out of your head.

Email  |  Permalink  |  Re-read  |  Top  |  FAQ  |  Archive