2002/11/24
 
22:10

Living la Vida Modem

"Modem"? Who talks about modems, now? It's all about broadband. And what's with that Ricky Martin reference!?

With so many of us living the frantic pace of "Internet Time" these days, would any self-respecting blogger make reference to anything that happened prior to last Tuesday?

Beats me. Anyway, here's a question:

Am I the only one who finds "Ren and Stimpy" frightening?

I can't deny that it's brilliant and amazingly creative, but even though I'm 45 years old, it still gives me the willies.

Now that I've compromised my net cred by talking about a cartoon from the previous millenium, I'll be even less up-to-the-second by talking about "The Matrix".

I recently read a commentary about that film that I found most intriguing. (Click here to check it out.)

I had no idea the movie was so deep, and I'm usually pretty good at picking up on this kind of stuff. I guess I was too dazzled to analyze what I was watching. I'm amazed that I didn't spot all the Lewis Carroll references.

Gosh, this blog entry is really dredging the past. I guess I shouldn't be telling you that last night I watched an episode of "The Green Hornet". But since I'm time-travelling anyway, I will mention that I've found that sometimes fond memories are best left alone.

Case in point: I recently had a chance to watch a rerun of "Roy Rogers", a antediluvian black-and-white Western. The lady star was Dale Evans, and she was my first crush. When I first saw the series in the early 60's, my 4-year-old brain understood that this was a "pretty lady", and to top it off (literally), she wore a cowboy hat. How cool was that?

Alas, upon seeing the show again, I realized that her actual image couldn't live up to what I remember. I should have left well enough alone.

There's a lot to be said for the "hit of the moment" phenomenon that is characteristic of "Internet Time". To wit: you can't be disappointed by nostalgia if you don't remember anything. Mind you, the same argument also works in favour of being whacked on the head with a rock.

Email  |  Permalink  |  Re-read  |  Top  |  FAQ  |  Archive