2002/11/01
 
11:05

White, Out

Agh! It's snowing! It's a blizzard!

Well, yeah, okay, so it's November 1st. It's not as if winter snuck up on me. But last year (my first in Toronto) we had very little snow. I thought this year was going to be the same. I'd reset my snow clock and everything. Maybe I should explain that.

I believe that every Canadian has a built-in "snow clock". At a certain time of year, it tells us it's time to start yearning for some fluffy flakes. When fulfilled, this elicits the reaction, "Ooo, isn't that pretty?" from some, "Finally!" from snow plow drivers, and "Call the travel agent" from others. The ski fanatics, of course, are instantly transported to Nirvana.

With my snow clock out of whack, I wasn't prepared for this. But on the bright side, it's going to be bright outside. I have to admit that last year, with so little snow, the gloomy days of November and December were extra-dismal. I generally get a bit blue when it's grey outdoors, but nothing spruces up the neighbourhood like a fresh coat of snow.

Hmm...

Okay, I'm looking out my window now (I can touch-type, so I don't have to look at the screen), and I'm thinking, "Gosh, that's lovely." I guess my snow clock is back on schedule.

Email  |  Permalink  |  Re-read  |  Top  |  FAQ  |  Archive